Thursday, June 3, 2010

Carded Batts to Finished Project

Remember those carded batts from the May Colorway of the Month, "Under the Big Top"? Well, I've been having more fun transforming them into a finished project than I've had in some time.

I began spinning them as a very lofty fine singles with the idea that I would ply them with something else. But then I fell in love with how airy the yarn was as a 2-ply, so created another set of batts following the same progression, from brighter, deeper colors to lighter ones, spun them on a second bobbin and plied the 2 together. Normally, I'd have to split the plied yarns onto two bobbins, but I used my new Schacht Bulky Flyer/bobbin and got the full 8.2 oz onto it, no sweat. 843 yards total of 2-ply. Very cool!! made me sooo happy as I envisioned no extra ends to weave into my project.

I choose to knit a little short sleeve cardi called "Tappan Zee" from the latest Knitty.com patterns. It seemed perfect for this yarn as it's worked all in one piece from the top down. I envisioned the progression working it's way from darker to lighter, which is just what happened. Here is a progress pic:

The color transition worked out really well, I think. The yarn is super soft BFL superwash, light and airy. Knitting was quite the pleasure... so much so that I abandoned nearly all other projects while I worked on this baby.

It was all so worth it in the end. Here she is after being blocked. I added a few extra rows to the sleeves for added length and have made some Sculpey buttons that are curing and will add a little more whimsy to this.

I just love how it turned out and how it looks on, too. I may have to make another of these. I know I will definitely have to do more carding of progression batts! Yet another way to transform the handpainted tops... gotta love it! Oh, and yardage was perfect! I have 2 yards left, so no odd bits to add to my stash. Hooray for that...


No comments:

Post a Comment