Saturday, April 24, 2010

knitting and spinning and weaving, oh my!

I have always had lots of hobbies, and have fluttered from one to another at whim until I have either outgrown the hobby, getting all I needed from it, or reached a stage with it where the effort to pursue it in more depth was greater than my interest in carrying on with it. When that happens, I move on to another.

Some hobbies have managed to hold my interest throughout my life. In the case of knitting, it is like a true soulmate... I understand it, I can read it's most every move and intention, and my fondness for it just grows deeper with time. What's not to love about making a web of fabric that stretches, can transform whatever it embellishes and molds to become one thing on me, another on you.

Spinning is another love that just deepens and becomes richer with time. There is something so magical about taking a handful of fibers and plant materials and having the ability to transform them into threads and art yarns with a turn of the wrist, a hum of a wheel.

And then there is weaving, the wondrous taking of spun threads to interlace into what often appears as just gauze and transforms through the process of finishing into integral cloth for garments, household items, art forms and more.

When you participate in these crafts, you learn that the possibilities are endless... in fact, it's often hard to decide on the final project because there just are so many options and creative choices.

For me, when I make some time to work on these endeavors that I love so much, it's often hard to choose which love to honor... will I knit, or spin, or weave or (felt or dye or...)?
So now, I just let the muses tell me where to focus my attention for that time. I no longer fight them or try to second guess which would be the better effort to work on.

Yesterday, then, was weave day. I had this warp measured from handspun for a couple weeks, and it hit me yesterday that I had the perfect yarn for weft to make a scarf. I couldn't wait to get to the loom! Here it is, all finished up.
Once around my neck, it realized it really needs to be part of a jacket...

that's what I mean... one thing just leads to another in an endless stream of possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment