Thursday, March 11, 2010

Nope, I'm not really a Slug!

Sometimes, I feel like a slug... I get others, like my DH, to make meals and clean around us, and generally hold up the fort. He doesn't mind, really. In fact, he likes that he is so appreciated doing things he, at best, totally enjoys (cooking), and at worst, knows needs to be done and that he's supporting our larger goals. Still, I oftentimes feel a tad guilty that I really should be 'doing my part' around the place. 

John is a dear and assures me, when I show him what I'm getting done instead, that it's totally worthwhile. I love him madly for that! Here's what I've been working on over the last few days with his support. 

I spun up the SOAR comemorative fiber (black blue-faced leicester and tussah silk, 75%, 25%). I managed to spin up 806 yds of 2-ply out of my 4 ozs and so have enough for a shawl. The finished color and sheen is amazing. Now that it's done, I'm fantasizing about overdyeing it for a woven shawl. It's so beautiful, I can hardly keep from petting it.

Then there is the Cotton Twirl Shell I started a couple of weeks ago. See how lovely it is with it's soft cable? I'm nearly through the front (and the back), so should be done in just a few more hours.

Next comes the Spunky Eclectic fiber for February, a Superwash BFL in a colorway that is totally not my colors, yellow, orange, burgundy and turquoise. It's sort of a southwest colorway, though she calls it "oh la, la, tropical". I decided to go outside my norm and comfort zone with this, since there was really nothing to lose... I divided up the fiber into long strips and wound them into cakes for spinning, each in sequence, keeping the colors intact. I married the yellows up with the burgundies, the oranges with the turquoise. 

I am spinning the singles as a somewhat uneven yarn, with the idea that it will result in a worsted weight, uneven 2-ply. Here is the yarn as a singles. More to come on how it will look plied up!

No comments:

Post a Comment