Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Simple Can Be Wonderful!

I love to weave (don't tell spinning...), as I adore the wonder of making cloth - all aspects of it! So you would imagine that I, also, enjoy all those intricate patterns, drafts, treadlings and threadings that make up remarkable fabrics that make us all oh and ah...overshot, crackle, all kinds of lace, doubleweave fabrics and more. And I do, most days.

Still, when I want to calm my heart and soul with the making of cloth, I am drawn, seriously drawn, to simple, simple weaves in beautiful yarns and organic designs. This scarf that I just finished is one of those pieces. Started some weeks ago on a simple rigid heddle loom, then set aside for more pressing projects, I returned to it this week and found that feeling of serenity once again through simplicity. On one end, I wove a two-pick stripe, on the other end, a 4-pick stripe... no symmetry at all, which was part of the beauty and joy of working on this. I love how it turned out!


It's made from the wonderful Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool, plain weave, threaded as 'color and weave'. When finished, it's soft, amazingly wrinkle resistent and comfy. For those who have said they want to make one, too, I'm making up kits with the draft and yarn so you can make one just like it, or in a different colorway and striping, following your own organic vision.

Did I say that I seriously love this scarf? (as does every man who has seen and felt it!)

1 comment:

  1. ohhhh I love that! I am just itching to learn how to do this!!!

    ReplyDelete