Sunday, January 17, 2010

Make Sure You Read the Pattern!

I never cease to surprise myself with the things I need to learn. Today it's all about assumptions.

If you've been following, you know that I have the Aestlight in progress, and then began the Ishmel last week after spinning up some lovely merino singles that just couldn't sit still. I usually do a really good job of alternating my projects so I'm never working on 2 at the same time that require following detailed charting. So all was good on these two as I had set aside the Aestlight to work on the Ishmel lace border. Until this evening...

To be honest, I had been eyeing the Aestlight while working on Ishmel and suddenly had this wild hare that I could get the border all done tonight so that I could take it to knit group tomorrow in a near-finished state. It's only a 12-stitch border, for god's sakes. I failed to let it register that it's 16 rows of the pattern that repeats a bazillion times. But what the hey!

I started back on the Aestlight border and wizzed through a few rows, with every other row having an extra stitch. I frogged and restarted... then another 3 or 4 times...by now, John had started staring at my work, saying, "Wow, that must be REALLY complicated!" and then took off to bed as he wanted to avoid any throwing of vocabulary or knitting objects.

Finally I realized that I was not even reading the pattern, just assuming... which pattern was this again?? so k in the back of the stitch became knit in front and back.

When things don't work out, Susan, READ the Pattern!!

Once I got that worked out, progress was pretty fast and I got one whole side completed. Tomorrow, I hope to complete it the final side of border! Will post pictures then.

1 comment:

  1. Bravo! As a pattern designer, I heartily approve of reading the pattern.

    I also approve of making a gauge swatch. So many pattern testers have problems because they didn't even try swatching before jumping in. It happens to me, over and over again when I think the sportweight yarn from one manufacturer will work up to near enough gauge, so I skip the swatch. This also happens to me with different colors of the same yarn.

    ReplyDelete