Sunday, December 27, 2009

Spin Happy!

I'll bring up SOAR again... I became a fan of Spunky Eclectic's (Amy King) hand dyed roving after spending 3 days in her workshop there. It was quite the education! I decided it might be fun to join her fiber club for awhile to see what all the excitement is about for the clubs. It didn't take long for me to find out...

First, it's the anticipation of knowing I was going to get 4oz of mystery wool/fiber in a surprise colorway that was only available to the club members. Members spend lots of time anticipating it, trying to guess based on the month's theme and sharing in the fun.

I got my package on Friday morning and here's what was inside -

This is 4oz of handpainted Wensleydale top called Cold Front. Rich, deep blues, a touch of green and occasional white areas should produce a lovely yarn with sheen and the characteristic halo of the wensleydale.

I've been itching to spin it ever since. So this afternoon, during knit group, I sat and spun it up as a light worsted singles. I chose not to ply because I wanted to keep the colors clear and just to play with spinning a thicker singles than I normally spin. It was a great way to spend time with friends and have something wonderful to show for it!

Here is the resulting yarn:

I prepared the roving by dividing into 2 pieces, one of which had much more deep blue than the other. I then divided each piece into 6 strips and spun this using a worsted method and a long drafting zone on my Julia with the largest whorl. It was an easy, quick spin.
I set the twist with the steam iron and it relaxed nicely. It's 296 yds at 1200 ypp. I suspect this will develop quite a halo once it is made up.


Now to find a project... suggestions?


No comments:

Post a Comment