Tuesday, December 22, 2009

When it all comes together and other pastimes

I had this lovely alpaca sox yarn, kettle dyed I think, in reds, that I had snagged during a little road trip to Woolie Ewe in Plano with a couple gal pals a few months back. I decided this would make a lovely woven scarf. I had in mind that I would use a much thinner bamboo yarn for the weft, a combo I had used many times before.

Once the alpaca was on the loom, though, the bamboo seemed oh so thin and I wanted to try something different. Lo and behold, I had a skein of Malabrigo socks yarn in the colorway Archangel from the shop (Yarnorama) in my stash. Love, love, love!! This was an 8H twill blocks pattern, and the Malabrigo was in just the right colors to show this off with the red alpaca.

Weaving was a dream... and then I came short of the Malabrigo sock yarn. I called my friend who had a skein that she was willing to trade out for the cause. But when I saw it, it was different... different enough that it would have shown miserably and I just didn't want to unweave. So I rechecked and found that there was enough for a 'just right' neck scarf. That was the end of that!  I'm thrilled with the results, as the hand of this is just so squishy wonderful and the colors have so much depth and interest.


What else could be so fun to work on, you say? Well, I've started spinning some Blue Moon Socks that Rock handpainted 15micron merino I got at SOAR... it's in greens, purples, blues, browns... omg, it's like sitting in a vineyard at grape harvest season! more pics with that tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment